1-1/2 pound fresh tofu
1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup rice grains(uncooked)
3 cloves minced garlic
7 cups water
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
5 stalks scallion(spring onion) finely sliced
salt and pepper to taste
How to cook Tofu Arroz Caldo:
- Cut the tofu into one inch squares. Then deep fry it until golden brown.
- Set aside. In a large non-stick soup pot over medium heat, sauté garlic in oil until lightly brown.
- Add ginger and onion, stir for a minute. Then add fish sauce.
- Add rice, water and a little salt and pepper.
- Simmer in medium low heat, stirring occassionallyfor about 40 minutes or until the consistency of a light creamed soup has been reached.
- Add the fried tofu and correct seasonings to taste.
- Stir in a small amount of sliced scallion. If rice soup becomes too thick, add a little water to thin it a bit.
- Garnish individual bowl servings with sliced scallions just before serving.
- If you prefer, sprinkle a little lemon juice on the soup servings.
- This will give a pleasant tartness to the dish. Yield: 6 – 8 servings.