1 and 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous rice)
water for soaking the rice
3 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 kilo sugar
Bilao lined with banana leaves
*Bilao – a round tray made from bamboo
How to make Enkiwar (Puto with Coconut Milk)
- In a bowl, soak malagkit in water for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain the water from the bowl.
- In a pot, boil the coconut milk with salt until about a cup has been evaporated.
- Put the malagkit in a pot of coconut milk turning often to avoid scorching until the rice has dried a bit and has softened.
- Cook the softened rice in moderate heat and add the sugar, turning often until cooked.
- Remove from fire and place in a bilao (bamboo tray) lined with banana leaves.
- Serve either hot or cold.