1 cup (225 grams) butter
1/2 cup salad oil
2 & 1/2 cups (500grams) sugar
4 eggs, separated
5 tbsp. hot water
2 & 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. all spice
2 cups grated raw carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or cashew nuts
How to make Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350deg F. Cream butter with oil and 2 cups of the sugar until blended. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in hot water. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, beat into egg mixture. Stir carrots and walnuts.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, then gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in four additions, beating until stiff peaks form. fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased and lightly floured 9-inch tube pan. Bake 60 -70 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Before removing cake from pan, pour half of the soaking syrup on cake, distributing evenly. Let cake cool completely. Turn out on serving platter and brush remaining syrup on cake.
- Let strand in refrigerator one day before serving.
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup (150grams) sugar
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup butter
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar and simmer until sugar dissolves. Add rum and bring to a slow boil. Remove from fire, stir in butter until melted.