matured bananas (saba variety)
.05 percent sodium metabisulfite solution
Fat or oil for frying
How to make Banana Chips:
- Use unripe but matured bananas (saba variety). Peel by hand and immerse immediately in .05 percent sodium metabisulfite solution for 15 minutes.
- Cut the sulfited peeled bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, using a stainless steel knife.
- Soak again the sliced bananas in the same concentration of metabisulfite solution for one hour to prevent browning.
- Remove slices from the soaking medium and boil them in water for 30 seconds.
- Spread blanched slices in sinamay covered wooden frames and dry in the sun or in an oven at 70 °C for from 3 to 4 hours until the slices are dry with a minimum moisture level of from 3 to 5 percent.
- Fry in thick fat and sprinkle with fine salt.
- Anti-oxidants may be added to prevent rancidity when chips are to be stored for some time.
Cool Culinary Tips – Crispier Chips Sprinkle salted ware over banana chips or potatoes while frying. This makes them a lot crispier and fun to eat.