one tablespoonful lime to one gallon water
2 parts sugar to one part water
How to make jackfruit jam:
- Select ripe but firm jackfruit with thick fleshy bulbs. Cut ends of the bulbs to remove seeds.
- Soak in lime water (one tablespoonful lime to one gallon water) for 2 hours.
- Wash thoroughly and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Dip in cold water; drain and cook in syrup made up of 2 parts sugar to one part water for 5 minutes.
- Soak in syrup for a week. Boil syrup daily for 2 minutes, adding the jackfruit while the syrup is still hot.
- Drain syrup and boil over a very low fire. Add the jackfruit and stir carefully until the syrup dries up.
- Remove excess sugar and allow to dry. Wrap individually in cellophane paper.