water for boiling
two parts sugar and one part water
(or every 2 cups of sugar mix 1 cup of water)
How to make Santol Preserve
- Select sound, ripe santol. Wash and blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Peel thinly and evenly. Soak peeled santol in cold water.
- Cut into halves and remove seeds. Soak in water for three days, changing the water everyday.
- Wash santol and blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes. Dip in cold water and drain.
- Boil in syrup made up of two parts sugar and one part water for 15 minutes. Let stand overnight.
- Boil the syrup again without the santol until thick enough.
- Add the santol and continue boiling. Pack in 12-ounces preserving jars and fill with syrup.
- Remove air bubbles. Half-seal and sterilize jars in boiling water for 20 minutes. Seal completely.