Calcium chloride (pure form of “apog”)
How to make Preserved Tomatoes
- Select fresh, firm, fully ripe but not overripe tomatoes. Wash thoroughly in running water.
- Blanch in boiling water for from one-half to 1 minute or in steam for from 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dip in cold water; peel off skin and remove core.
- Pack tomatoes firmly in previously sterilized jars to 1/2 inch from the top. Do not add water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon calcium chloride (apog) to each pint jar.
- Exhaust uncovered jar containing the tomatoes at 77 °C in a kettle with water for 15 minutes or approximately 45 minutes from boiling time.
- Water in kettle should not be more than 2/3 of the jar to prevent entrance of boiling water into the jar.
- Seal completely and process in boiling water bath for 35 minutes. Cool and store.