1 Mature Kundol or Kondol (white melon gourd)
2 parts sugar and 1 part water for sugar syrup
(for every 2 cups sugar use 1 part water)
How to make kundol preserve:
- Select mature but firm kondol. Peel thinly and cut into desired size and shape.
- Soak in lime water (one tablespoonful lime to one liter water) overnight.
- Wash thoroughly and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes. Wash in cold water and drain.
- Cook in syrup made up of two parts sugar to one part water for 30 minutes and let stand overnight. Boil syrup again until thick.
- Drain and pack kondol in 12-ounces preserving jars.
- Fill with syrup. Half-seal and sterilize jars for 25 minutes in boiling water. Seal completely.