Sodium hydroxide or lihiya (commercial flakes)
How to make candied santol
- Wash fruits. Remove peel by putting fruits in 6 percent sodium hydroxide solution or lihiya (approximately 1 cup sodium hydroxide flakes in 3 liters of water) for 5 minutes.
- Wash in cold water immediately to remove all traces of lihiya.
- Place fruits under running water and scrape or brush off peel. Rinse fruits.
- Blanch fruits in boiling water for 10 minutes. Cool in running water.
- Slice into wedges and remove seeds.
- For every cup of fruit, add 1 cup sugar. Mix them in a bowl and let stand overnight.
- Remove liquid and scrape off sugar from fruit.
- Spread fruit on wire trays and dry in a dryer or under the sun.
- Pack in plastic bags or insect-proof containers.