3 egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
How to make Cocoa Meringue Kisses:
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 325 deg Farenheit. Prepare 2 non stick baking sheet or lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until egg whites are stiff and shiny but not dry.
- Sift cocoa, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup sugar together. Sprinkle half of the mixture over egg whites. With rubber spatula, gently fold in just until blended. Repeat, folding in remaining cocoa mixture, then add pecans.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with 1/2 inch star tip. Pipe 1 to 1 1/4 inch rounds onto prepared sheets (or drop by teaspoonfuls).
- Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. With spatula, gently transfer meringue kisses to wire racks to cool completely. (Maybe prepared a day ahead) Store airtight at room temperature. Make 60 meringue kisses.