2-3 cups squash, peeled, sliced and steamed
1 & 1/2 cans sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour (dispersed in 1/4 -1/3 cup water)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 Tbsp butter
white sugar for coating pastillas
grated rind/zest of 5 large dark green calamansi
How to make Chewy Squash Pastilla
- Place first five ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour squash mixture into a shallow nonstick pan.
- Turn on heat to medium low and alternately stir and scrape the squash mixture to a very thick paste.
- A heat resistant spatula is a real help because it scrapes up the sticky dough, clean.
- However, a wooden spoon will suffice. Add butter and calamansi zest and continue stirring until you get a soft dough.
- Let dough cool a little bit, about 1 minute before transferring into a plastic zip bag or any sturdy plastic.
- Lay on a flat surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thick using a rolling pin.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut off the topside of the plastic bag to the pastillas dough.
- Let it cool completely. At this point, the pastillas will become more solid and chewy.
- Slice pastillas into 2 x 1/2 inch pieces then roll in sugar. A hard plastic spatula made our slicing easy. Dust off excess sugar before wrapping.
- Keeps well without refrigeration for about 2 weeks, longer if refrigerated. Make about 100 pcs.