A meringue cake roll made from egg white and egg yolk on the center and a popular dessert in the Philippines.
10 eggs, separate yolks from whites
1 & 1/4 cup. sugar
1 tsp. cream of tartar
How to make Brazo de Mercedes
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until smooth.
- Line a jelly roll baking pan with wax paper and grease.
- Pour the egg white mixture onto the pan.
- Bake at 350 deg Fahrenheit oven until brown.
- Remove from the oven and invert on a greased wax paper.
- Peel off the lower wax paper lining. Set aside and cool.
- Make the filling by combining the egg yolks with milk.
- Place on the top of a double boiler and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly spread on baked egg white.
- Roll and chill. Good for 4 to 6 persons.