For the Crust:
1-1/2 cups ginger snaps or Oreo chocolate cookie (with filling) crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter,melted
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Crush cookies into fine crumbs, and blend with sugar and melted butter. Press mixture into bottom and side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 6 minutes hen cool on wire rack.
2/3 cup cornstarch
3 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 ounces semi sweet chocolate
2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. cognac or brandy
3 egg whites
How to make Black Bottom Pie
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with a cup of the milk. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and beat well. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the remaining 2 cups milk and sugar, and bring to a boil. Add egg mixture and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat. When mixture is cool, pour 1/3 into a bowl and the remaining 2/3 into another.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir melted chocolate into 1/3
of the filling and blend well. Pour into pie crust and refrigerate.
- In a saucepan over low heat , dissolve gelatin in water combine with remaining 2/3 of the filling mixture. Blend in cognac.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiffpeaks form. Wiht a rubber spatula, fold egg whites gently into filing mixture. pour over chocolate layer in pie plate. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
- With a wire whisk, whip heavy cream with sugar. Spread evenly over pie with a rubber spatula.
- Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve.