1 package dry yeast
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons oil
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 & 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
How to make Whole Wheat Bread
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine sugar, oil, salt and boiling water. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add 3/4 cup cold water.
- When mixture is lukewarm, stir in the dissolved yeast. Mix flours together reserving 1/2 cup white flour to add while kneading.
- Add flours gradually to form a stiff dough. Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic(about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Place in oiled bowl, turn and cover. Let rise in a warm place (85 °F to 90 °F) until light and double in bulk for about two hours.
- Punch down. Divide into half; shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 350 °F for from 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and brush with oil. Let cool on rack. Yield: 2 loaves.