4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups boiling water
6 & 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup light molasses
1/3 cup shortening
How to make Oatmeal Bread
- Dissolve yeast in l/2 cup warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1-1/2 cups boiling water, the rolled oats, molasses , shortening and salt, cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 cups of the flour. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add remaining flour, 2 cups at a time, mixing vigorously after each addition, to make a moderately stiff dough. Beat vigorously till smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Grease top lightly. Cover tightly. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Turn out on well floured surface: shape in 2 loaves. Place in greased loaf pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till double in size (about 2 hours).
- Bake in moderate oven (375 °F) for about 40 minutes.
- If crust browns too quickly, cover with foil for last half of baking time.
- Yield: 2 loaves.